After being involved in a motorcycle accident, you can feel pretty shaken up and not know what to do and when. Here is a list of steps you should take to prepare yourself for the next stages of your claim.
- Stay at the Scene
- Check on all drivers’ and passengers’ safety
- Call the police
- Exchange information with the other drivers
- Talk to witnesses if there are any
- Inform Your insurance company
- Keep track of your hospital visits and medical treatments
- Take Pictures and videos of the scene
- Get a Property Damage Valuation from your insurance company
Beyond the first steps to be taken after the accident, there are a few things that you should keep in mind as it pertains to a personal injury claim. Firstly, be careful what you say about the incident. Don’t take the blame, fault, or liability. Anything you say at or away from the scene can be held against you in a court of law.
Additionally, don’t be tempted by an early settlement offer. Insurance companies aren’t interested in going to court so they’ll often throw out a number to try and make you happy. Consider speaking with a lawyer to discuss your options. In some circumstances, the amount offered can be WAY lower than what you’ll need to fully recover down the line.